Consuelo Guayara Sánchez

I earned my M.A. and PhD. in the University of Iowa, as a human geographer with a specialty in Latin American Studies, focusing on economic, social, cultural, and political processes in which environmental concerns and issues are embedded. 
I have taught both in Colombia and the US at university level. In Colombia I taught in the area of economics and the environment. In the geography department at the University of Iowa, I have taught lower level courses including: Introduction to Human Geography, The Contemporary Global System, and Contemporary Environmental Issues. I have also enjoyed teaching upper level courses such as: Environment and Development, Gender and Environment, Geographic Perspectives on Development, and Special Topics (Globalization and Latin America, and Globalization, Environment and Latin America).
For the past five years, as a lecturer in the department of Rhetoric, my Rhetoric courses have also maintained a thematic focus on environment, development, technology, and the production of knowledge. My First Year Seminar, Humans and Environment: The Invisibility of Human Impact is a well- received course that introduces first year students to global perspectives and environmental awareness. 
During the past five summers, I have been investigating sustainable food production projects in Colombia, and presenting my results at international and national fora. I have conducted fieldwork in the municipalities of Riosucio and Anserma in the state of Caldas, a traditional coffee zone of Colombia, particularly by examining social and environmental practices of small associations of organic coffee producers in the search for reducing structural vulnerabilities and conditions of precarity, as well as promoting environmental sustainability in Colombia. Besides presenting the results at The Annual American Association of Geographers Meetings, I have had the opportunity of presenting my findings in Italy, and Canada at the International Conference on Food Studies, the latest one in October 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #8 (Ian)

Blog Post #1

JJ 7