Blog Post #7 (Ian)

The first time I worked as a writing fellow I provided both written and oral feedback. After receiving a draft from students I'd jot down some notes, shoot them an email, and then we would meet at a coffee shop to go over my comments together. I liked this approach because (as the readings suggest) I think both approaches have their advantages and limitations. When providing written/online feedback, I like that I'm forced to distill my feedback into 2-3 main morsels, which I think is easier for students to digest emotionally and (candidly) more helpful than the accumulation of many little notes over the course of an in-person session. The problem with this approach is that I can't check to see if my student is actually grasping what I'm trying to convey, or perhaps even resistant to my feedback. Selfishly, I also find that written feedback is much more time-consuming, so while I sometimes think it might be of higher quality than the verbal feedback I provide, I also know I can work more quickly and efficiently out loud. To add to this last point, I also appreciate the personal/social dimensions of in-person tutoring. Writing is a hard and vulnerable thing to do, and I am keenly aware of how difficult it can be to receive critical feedback. In person, at least, I can engage with these issues directly, even if it means thinking and editing on the fly.

Comments


  1. Online tutoring always seems to be lacking. It seems that nothing can take the place of the effectiveness of face-to-face tutoring. Online tutoring equates to students looking up specific areas that they struggle with in a grammar book or online source. However, I appreciate that Ian acknowledged resistance. When you are tutoring online there can be a lack of student resistance because it is essentially a one-way conversation. However, I would venture to guess that any student that resists face-to face instruction is bound to resist online tutoring as well. The only difference is that tutors do not have to deal with a student resisting if they are tutoring online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought of online tutoring as an avenue where the tutor can more carefully decide what aspects of a writing assignment needs the most work (i.e., triage). Sometimes with an in-person session it takes me awhile to figure out what I think are the most important global issues to address and in a 30 min session this can be frustrating. I am starting to come around to online tutoring as an effective tool but it is also important to recognize its limitations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #8 (Ian)

Blog Post #1

JJ 7