Blog Post #7 - Tiffany Tucker

After reading the chapter in the Bedford I see some benefits to online tutors, but I still have a few concerns online tutoring. To be honest, writing feedback on papers for the classes that teach is something that I still struggle with primarily because I don't like it. I find it time-consuming; I wish I could just give student's verbal feedback and have them take notes. I also still struggle with how much feedback to give. Everything we have read, stressed only focusing on global issues, but I am still trying to draw the line between too much or too little feedback. I also wrote, in a response to another classmate I am concerned about students that benefit from talking through their writing verbally. The Bedford chapter talks about instant messaging and video chat which might be a good method to talk through writing with a student, but the Writing Center at Iowa doesn't work that way.

I do agree with the Bedford chapter that online tutoring could be great for a person that is shy about coming to the writing center. Also, like the chapter mentions, a person's race, gender, etc. can influence how we tutor them whether we intend that or not. In online tutoring, that is less of a worry. Also, I agree with the Bedford chapter that online tutoring gives you more time to look over the paper and write feedback without having to come up with ideas on the spot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #8 (Ian)

Blog Post #1

JJ 7