Blog post 7 - Kathleen

This week's Writing Lab article was fascinating. I haven't done any online tutoring yet but was concerned about how it would go.

My first concern regarding online tutoring is that the role of the student is so diminished. The student has much less work to do than if they were to participate in face-to-face tutoring. It's so easy (I imagine) for a student to log on, upload an essay, throw in a couple of comments about grammar, and hit send; to go into the Writing Center and participate in a session takes time, if nothing else.

So I worry that students are less invested in what their online tutor has to say. I suppose this shouldn't necessarily alter the way in which we tutor, though--it isn't like I should take my effort down a notch to correspond with this reduction in student effort that I could be completely imagining.

But reading this article has actually gotten me somewhat excited for online tutoring. It is in some ways easier--I worry constantly about the energy involved in a face-to-face meeting, how I cannot just leave the room or drift out of the conversation. Online tutoring will take place at my leisure (to a certain extent) and is in that way less frightening. I also would have a chance to examine my own comments before sending them--something I'm not always able to do in a face-to-face interaction in which I feel pressured to speak quickly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #8 (Ian)

Blog Post #1

JJ 7