Blog post 8 Kathleen

I was very interested in this week's reading. The crossover from academic to creative writing is a more difficult one than I'd ever considered--I have mainly worked on crossing over to academic writing from creative writing. I would venture to say that my transition was easier than the one described in this paper. Aspects of creative writing--such as attention to sound, as the author attempts to explain to the student--can easily be incorporated into academic writing. All writing, really, is improved by attention to sound and detail. The virtues of academic writing, however, don't always shine in creative writing. I'm currently working on a creative paper via online tutoring and it's proving to be tricky. For one thing, it's quite long, rendering line-by-line comments somewhat impossible. But it's also, I'm finding, difficult to convincingly advise a student on a creative paper outside of the workshop setting. I anticipate the author presenting an argument against whatever I advise due to the fluid nature of creative choices.

At any rate, I would love to improve my skills with creative tutoring within the Writing Center environment, and look forward to discussing this reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #8 (Ian)

Blog Post #1

JJ 7